Pondering Over the Best Books of all Time
Writing about the best books of all time, I want to mention something first here. Just recently dropped in at Crossword Book Store in Pune and was astounded and happy to find a whole range of new authors which included Indian ones too in a fair number. I refrain myself a lot of times from stepping into a bookshop as I have this overpowering urge of buying the whole bookshop! All the same just going through these books I came across ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird’ (which I grabbed pronto!), which is considered to be a classic and one of the all time popular books. Unfortunately, there are so many books which are worth a read, it is intimidating! I mean every time someone asks have you read this book? It is a classic! And there I go. Another dent to my reading career! But here with this blog atleast I now know what am I missing out on, to some extent! Here is the list!
- · To Kill a Mocking Bird – Harper Lee
- · Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
- · War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
- · Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
- · Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
- · Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
- · Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
- · The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- · Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
- · The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
- · Hamlet by William Shakespeare
- · Ramayana - Valmiki
- · Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
- · Ulysses – James Joyce
- · Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
- · Nineteen Eighty Four – George Orwell
- · One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- · The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
All these are some of the greatest books of all times and you are neither ahead of your time nor behind for reading these books! I have had the good fortune to have been able to get my hands on a few amongst these. I read some when I was an awkward teenager, while others after I became an adult. There were a couple of them I read again after a few years. That time there was a whole new perspective! It is amazing how we interpret and perceive the same book or a film after a gap of a few years! It is like you are almost watching a new film or reading a new book! This said, I think I have loads of work to do, finishing reading as much as possible of this list! So I will get going while all you bookworms can also tally what all you might have missed reading! Ciao! Hope you liked these best books of all time, fiction and non-fiction and others!